As a certified hypnotist and sex therapist near Johannesburg, I know that discussing sex with your partner can be a difficult conversation to have. But trust me when I say that open communication about sexual desires, concerns, and issues is crucial for a healthy and fulfilling sexual relationship.
If you’re searching for a “sex therapist near me,” you’ve come to the right place. In this article, learn about the benefits of sex therapy and how to start the conversation with your partner in a nurturing and non-judgmental space.
What Is Sex Therapy?
Sex therapy is a specialised form of therapy that focuses on addressing sexual issues and improving sexual function. In my role as a sex therapist, I’m here to help individuals and couples overcome various issues, such as low libido, erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, painful sex, and more.
During our sessions, we’ll explore practical exercises, talk therapy, and psychoeducation that will help enhance your sexual relationship.
How To Start The Conversation About Sex With Your Partner
Starting the conversation about sex with your partner may feel uncomfortable or awkward, but it’s an essential step for a healthy and fulfilling sexual relationship. Creating a safe and non-judgmental environment where both partners can express their thoughts and feelings openly is key. Use “I” statements to express your concerns and avoid blaming or criticising your partner.
- Set aside time for the conversation when you won’t be interrupted or distracted. You can initiate the conversation via text or in writing if you are having reservations.
- Choose a comfortable and private setting where you both feel at ease.
- Agree to listen without interrupting or becoming defensive.
- Avoid using sarcasm or making jokes, as this can make your partner feel uncomfortable or belittled.
- Take turns speaking and actively listen to each other’s thoughts and feelings.
- Be patient and understanding with each other and remember that open communication takes time and effort.
By following these tips and working with a compassionate and experienced sex therapist, you and your partner can create a safe and inclusive space for exploring your sexual relationship.
Communicating Effectively About Sex
Now that you’ve created a safe and non-judgmental space for open communication about sex with your partner, the next step is to focus on communicating effectively. Effective communication is key to exploring new aspects of your sexual relationship and addressing any issues or concerns you may have.
- Be Specific: Don’t be afraid to communicate your desires in a clear and specific manner. Whether it’s something you enjoy or don’t enjoy, it’s important to be clear and concise with your partner about what you want in the bedroom.
- Use Positive Language: Instead of focusing on what you don’t like, try to use positive language to express your desires. For example, saying “I love it when you…” instead of “I don’t like it when you…”
- Explore Together: Asking your partner what they enjoy is an important part of exploring new things together. Be open to trying new things and exploring different aspects of your sexuality as a couple.
- Practice Active Listening: Listening actively involves being fully present in the moment and paying attention to what your partner is saying without interruption. Try to understand their perspective and respond with empathy and kindness.
- Be Patient & Understanding: Remember that open communication about sex takes time and effort. Be patient with each other and don’t be discouraged if it takes a while to fully explore and understand each other’s desires.
Providing A Safe, Inclusive & Non-Judgmental Space
By following these tips and working with a compassionate and experienced sex therapist, you can create a safe and supportive space for exploring your sexual relationship.
If you’re searching for a “sex therapist near me,” look no further. My practice is a non-judgmental and inclusive space where individuals and couples of all sexual orientations and gender identities are welcome.
Don’t hesitate to reach out and schedule a consultation today.