Anxiety is a common issue that affects many people, and while medication is a common option for treatment, some individuals are turning to natural and holistic approaches. Hypnotherapy and homeopathy are two alternative options that can help alleviate anxiety.
Hypnotherapy can have a positive effect on the brain by reducing the activity of the anterior cortex, which can reduce pain signals and link sensory stimuli to emotional and behavioural responses. Meanwhile, homeopathy can help address anxiety by providing individualised treatment that takes into account the person’s specific symptoms and experiences.
In this 5th part of our anxiety series, I will guide you through understanding the origins, causes, and symptoms of teenage anxiety.
Understanding Anxiety In The Wonderful & Complicated Teenage Brain
Teenagers are particularly susceptible to anxiety due to the physical, mental, and emotional changes they experience during adolescence. Hormonal changes can cause heightened emotional responses and reactivity, and the development of the brain can lead to mood swings, poor judgment, self-entitlement, and other negative views. Additionally, teenagers face unique challenges in their relationships, goals, hopes, dreams, and career pursuits, which can contribute to anxiety.
Causes Of Teenage Anxiety
The primary factor in teenage anxiety is the changes in hormones, which causes heightened emotional responses and reactivity.
- Teenage Brain Development, Problems, Judgment: During adolescence, teenagers experience mood swings, poor judgment, self-entitlement, and other negative views due to the development of their brains. The prefrontal cortex, which oversees self-control, judgment, and thinking ahead, stops thickening and starts to be refined during this period.
- Being Apart: When teenagers are away from their parents or guardians, it may become difficult for them to make connections and take up challenges that allow them to grow and experience life. Being on their own allows them to identify what is best suited for them, according to their consciousness and maturity.
- Parental Disapproval, Changing Ideals: Adolescence is a time of challenges for both teenagers and parents. Teenagers’ ideals are often largely formed by their parents or guardians, and as their ideals change, it can be disconcerting for the adults in their lives.
- Isolation: Teens are trying to form their own identity, and if they identify with those that have a negative view of life or reject their parents and family, it can create a sense of isolation.
A Word For Parents, Teachers, And Guardians
Parents, teachers, guardians, and those who work with teenagers should have a deeper understanding of the teenage mind to help them navigate this complex period. Hormones and mood swings, teenage brain development, problems with judgment, being apart from parents or guardians, parental disapproval, changing ideals, and isolation can all contribute to anxiety in teenagers.
Helping Teens Address And Overcome Anxiety With Hypnotherapy
Hypnotherapy is a form of therapy that utilises hypnosis to help individuals make positive changes in their lives. For teenagers dealing with anxiety, hypnotherapy can be an effective alternative option for treating their condition.
One of the ways that hypnotherapy can help teenagers overcome anxiety is by helping them relax and access a state of calmness. Anxiety can be overwhelming and paralysing, and often, individuals experiencing it can’t see past their anxious thoughts and feelings. Hypnotherapy helps teenagers enter a state of relaxation and trance-like state that can help them bypass their conscious mind and access their subconscious mind, where the root of their anxiety may lie.
Hypnotherapy can help teenagers gain insight into the root causes of their anxiety. Often, anxiety can stem from past experiences, negative beliefs, or distorted thinking patterns.
- Addressing The Root Cause: Hypnotherapy can help teenagers identify and address these underlying issues by accessing their subconscious mind and bringing them to light.
- Promoting Inner Calm: By helping teenagers gain insight into the underlying causes of their anxiety, hypnotherapy can help them develop new coping mechanisms, thought patterns, and behaviours that promote calmness, relaxation, and well-being.
- Regaining Control: Hypnotherapy can also help teenagers develop a sense of control and empowerment over their anxiety. Many teenagers feel helpless and overwhelmed by their anxiety, which can lead to a vicious cycle of fear and worry.
- Overcoming Anxious Thoughts: Hypnotherapy can help teenagers reframe their anxious thoughts, overcome their negative beliefs, and develop a more positive outlook on their future.
- Strengthening Confidence: By helping teenagers develop a sense of control over their anxiety, hypnotherapy can help them feel more empowered and confident in their ability to overcome their anxiety.
Helping Teenagers Feel Heard, Seen And Validated
Another way that hypnotherapy can help teenagers overcome anxiety is by providing them with a safe and non-judgmental space to express their fears and concerns. Many teenagers are hesitant to talk about their anxiety, fearing judgment or criticism.
Hypnotherapy provides a safe and supportive environment where teenagers can explore their anxiety without fear of judgment or ridicule. Hypnotherapists are trained to listen and provide guidance in a non-judgmental way that helps teenagers feel heard, seen, and validated.
Overall, hypnotherapy can be an effective alternative option for treating anxiety in teenagers. By helping them relax, gain insight into the root causes of their anxiety, develop a sense of control and empowerment, and provide them with a safe and supportive space to express their fears, hypnotherapy can help teenagers break free from the chains of anxiety and reclaim their well-being and mental health.
Anxiety can have a significant impact on one’s life, but it is important to know that there are alternative options for treatment. Hypnosis and homeopathy can be effective in reducing anxiety, and having a deeper understanding of the teenage mind can help parents, teachers, and guardians to support and guide them through this challenging period.
As a certified hypnotherapist and life coach, I understand how difficult it can be for teenagers to overcome anxiety. In this series, we’ll dive deep into the human experience of anxiety, exploring the causes and symptoms unique to teenagers. By understanding these nuances, we can develop effective strategies to help you or your loved one overcome anxiety.
Whether you are dealing with anxiety yourself or have teenage loved ones who are, it’s essential to seek the help you need to break free from its chains. Get in touch today to book an appointment.